Thursday, July 5, 2012

Firsts

Monday was Hollie's highly anticipated first day of school.  Last week we had gone in for a second classroom visit, and when another little girl asked me why I was there, and I explained, Hollie told me she didn't want me to come next time!  She was ecstatic to learn that she would soon be attending every day.  


This school has an awesome, very flexible summer school schedule.  Each week has a theme, and you sign up for as many weeks as you want.  For example, Hollie's first week is woodworking.  We decided that we would ease her in by taking a few weeks off after that, and then doing two consecutive weeks (puppetry and frogs/amphibians), and taking a few more weeks off before the school year starts in September.  Throughout the summer and fall,she will be attending only in the afternoons.  This school is has a looong waiting list for the mornings, and we knew that by choosing afternoons we'd have the best chance of getting her in (and we still spent a number of months on the waiting list anyway!).  Lately Hollie's been taking an afternoon nap maybe once every couple of days, so I think we're just going to be a little more aware of the time and making sure she's getting to bed earlier.  



take one

take two


take three
priceless!!!

That first day was tough for me!  I was just on edge, and I tried and tried but just couldn't put a finger on what was stressing me out.  I wasn't worried that she wouldn't do well.  She has a quiet, respectful nature especially around people she doesn't know well (yeeeeah, the wild child comes out when she gets to know you!).  I thought maybe it was a control thing.  I have always had control over those three hours of her day, and now I don't.  But I have such great faith in the Montessori philosophy that I knew without a doubt that those three hours would be well spent.  


Drop-off went fine.  We got inside and she made a bee-line for the classroom, and I was afraid I was going to have to chase her down for a good-bye, but before I had even said anything she turned around for a quick hug...and then she was off!  I tell ya, this girl had a brief fling with separation anxiety once at about 18-months of age, but has not known it since.


It wasn't until I picked Hollie up that first day that I realized what had been bugging me.  


I wasn't going to know what she had done in those three hours.


Without asking her teachers every day.  Because I have one very very imaginative, tall-tale-telling girl here.  She can't tell me accurately what she had for breakfast without including a story, much less what she did for three hours at school.  Case in point - When I picked her up that first day, her teacher only told me that she had been "happy and bubbly" the whole time, which in itself was great to hear.  As I buckled Hollie in, I asked her what she had done, and here are her answers:


"We had a tree night."  Huh?????  Never got any further explanation on that one.

"We learned a song about trees."
All she could remember was:
"I am a tree
Here I am
I begin a seed."

That's all I got.  I'm fairly certain that there is some at least partial truth, because of the woodworking theme, but for all I know, she made up the song herself.  I asked if she'd had a snack.  She had - just grapes, no pretzels (they have a snack table where the kids can get their own snacks at any time, and they wash and dry their dishes afterward - I love this.)  She'd also had some water to drink.  I asked if she had gone outside.  She said yes, just to sit down (they also paint, play with water, and water plants outside.  I have a feeling she just sat because someone else was painting - she painted twice during our classroom visit and loved it).

Oh well.  I hope to find out more from her teachers exactly what she is doing.  I didn't ask on Tuesday because I was too busy apologizing for being late (first and last time, I promise!).  Maybe at some point I won't think about it so much.  


For the record, Blake and I browsed Hobby Lobby during school that first day, and on the second day we went home and I unpacked boxes like a madwoman.  I thought I would have nothing to do while she was at school, but now I have an ever-lengthening list!


---------------------------------------------------------


We all enjoyed our day off for the Fourth.  We relaxed most of the day, which is a very difficult thing to do around here.  Mom and Dad would love to just sit back and chill, but kids get antsy quickly, and today we toed the narrow line between with better success than ever...mostly chill, with periodic interjections of, "Hey Hollie, come help me with this [fun task]!"

Then, we packed up and drove to a nearby farm town that was having their parade in the afternoon (we had missed all the morning parades closer to our neighborhood), and which consisted of:

50% tractors\
25% politicians running for office
22% vintage cars
1% community marching band
1% very good mariachi band
1% retired clown walking her last parade along with her grandchildren and great-grandchildren (also in clown gear).

Hands down, the highlight was when a young firefighter jumped off the truck and proposed to his girlfriend - now fiancee - right on the curb.


-------------------------------------------------------

My Blakey turns ONE YEAR OLD today!  This warranted an open letter.  I need to do these more often.


Dear Blake,

My chunky monkey.  You are ADORABLE.  I am in love with so so so many little things…

You slap the tray with both hands when you finish your food.  Need a refill, Momma, and hurry!

You also happily slap your belly when just can’t contain your excitement.  You have done this ever since you gained control of your arms.  We joke that you are flapping your wings and trying to fly, especially these days, when you do it while standing on your own!

You work so hard on new things, and you are so proud of yourself.  When you took your first little unassisted steps in Mesa, you shrieked with pride.  You are still working on it, not quite walking yet, but you sure are persistent.  I watched you stand up, fall forward, and stand up again about ten times the other day, moving a grand total of two inches across the floor!  Not to poke fun, but it really was comical.

You pull any kind of cloth - towels, blankets, jackets, scarves - over your head and just sit there laughing and laughing before you peek out again.  We can’t decide if you are imitating us putting shirts on, or playing peek-a-boo!

Your laugh…oh goodness…in this respect you could not be more different from your sister.  At this age Hollie did that infamous “dolphin laugh”, but you’ve adopted the deep chuckle.  The belly laugh.   Less earsplitting, more infectious.  :)

On the other hand, exactly like your sister, you say dada when you’re happy and mama when you need something.  Figures.


Also just like your sister: provided you have a full belly, clean diaper, and are well rested, you can sit and play quietly by yourself until any one of these three changes.  When Hollie was small I didn’t think much of it, but seeing it again feels like lightening striking twice in one spot.  This is astounding and I am one lucky momma.  Okay, comparisons - over.

You love to splash in the bath, and look so surprised when your face gets wet.  But then, you have developed a taste for bathwater, and drink by putting your face right in.  Again, surprise!

Your newest face: duck lips (as seen in take two, above).

Here’s to Year Two, Blakester!

No comments:

Post a Comment